Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Brilliant Idea #63

Blogger World, I have come up with a BRILLIANT idea. It’s better than Cookie Thursday, which you guys know is my proudest brilliant idea.

As you know, I’m single. No, I really am single it’s not an act. Since I’m not progressing with age in the dating world; I figure I might be single a few more years, or a decade. However, I feel that just because I’m single does not mean I should be punished. I mean, it’s not my fault. Ok, so maybe some of it is my fault. But today we are not debating why OK Chick is single. We’ll save that issue for later, or never. Anyway, I’m single and I’m tired of being punished.

See, even though I’m single many of my friends are not. No, they are married and starting to pop out kids- like the Bible Belt teaches us. Now if your friends are like mine, you know I have attended jillions of wedding showers and/or baby showers. Everyone knows that when you are invited to a shower you are expected to bring a present. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind buying my friends presents. This is a joyous occasion. I truly am happy that they are getting married or having a child. But my thing is; what if I never get married, what if I never have a child. Who’s going to buy a present for me? I want presents. I want the joy of registering for pots, and then having people pay for my expensive pots.

Blogger World I have come up with this brilliant idea. Folks, for my 30th birthday I am registering for birthday presents. I have chosen my 30th birthday because it’s kind of an important birthday. This is when you cross the line from young to old, or so I’ve been told. But on my 30th birthday, I am going to Target or William Sonoma or maybe both to register for my birthday presents. I am getting the dang registry gun and registering! I want a blender, ice cream scope, ice cream maker, knives, kettle, and Tupperware. I want nice matching Tupperware! There is no reason that because I cannot meet someone, that I shouldn’t have great silverware.

Registering for presents should not be for just married folks. We should demand equal rights. Single people of the Blogger World, we need to rally up and demand that we have matching plates and tools-even if we aren't married!

I hear by give anyone permission to steal OK Chick’s Brilliant Idea #63.

15 comments:

Emily said...

I think it sounds like a great idea. I personally think we should all get to register whenever we feel like it. Like for a wedding anniversary when our stuff is getting old. Or just because we feel like it.

TC said...

I think this sounds like a brilliant plan!!! Do you have any idea how much money I spend each year on wedding showers/baby showers?!?! And how come men get off on this one?!??? When's the last time you heard a man complain about how much money he had to spend on baby shower gifts??? HMPH!

monamachel1 said...

I said a long time ago that I have stopped giving out wedding gifts. They should give me a gift for listening to them and attending their wedding. They should thank me!! I mean, really. We have lives too and if we have to plan our day around them, they should give us a gift. Not the other way around!!!

Renee Nefe said...

I think that I read somewhere...no wait! It was S@x and the City. Carrie had gone to her friend's Baby shower (friend played by Tatum ONeil) and the host had insisted that EVERYONE take off their shoes at the door. Carrie was wearing her brand new $600 shoes, she didn't want to take them off because they were part of her outfit, but she did and then someone stole or took by mistake her shoes.
Carrie's friend first said she would pay for the shoes...until she found out how much they cost. Then she said that Carrie shouldn't be spending that much on shoes.

Carrie then is writing in her column about how much she's forked out on all the engagement, wedding & babyshower gifts. She then sends her "friend" an invite to her "I'm staying single" party with a mention that she's registered at the shoe store. Friend laughs and goes to the store with kids in toe. The only item Carrie registered for were her shoes and her friend buys them.

I do think it is a shame that my single friends get the short end of the stick gift wise...but know that the gift thing doesn't last long...unless you keep moving and having housewarming parties. I haven't gotten gifties since DD was born.

I would recommend reading this book http://www.amazon.com/Alton-Browns-Gear-Your-Kitchen/dp/1584792965 before you get registered. Then you can pick out the good stuff that you'll actually use. I so need to go through my cabinets and get rid of all the stuff I have that I'm not using.

Stacey said...

Yeah, I tried to get people on board about doing this for me when I turned 30. Good luck with that. =o)

Anonymous said...

Go for it! I made a big deal of my 30th too, especially because I was single.

Funny that if my relationship pans out I may have a really, really small wedding so I might not ever get to register anyway. I also can't wait for one of those nice matching cutlery sets - with soup spoons and cake forks!

When is your birthday?

auntlinda34 said...

here is what you do! when buying gifts for those occasions you hit the 50% rack and get 2 of whatever..that way you get yourself the same thing!?? Or buy the gift that is 50% off and pocket the other 1/2!! win, win for everyone?????

Scotty said...

Feel free to send anything you dont like, or extras, my way :)

Bone said...

That was good stuff.

What I hate is when they get divorced and remarried. We have to get them presents all over again?

I also always wondered why I never got a house warming party. I mean, granted I moved into an apartment. But I still need things.

OK, "Word Up" just came on iTunes. I gotta go and chair dance.

OK Chick said...

Emily- I'm happy a married person backs my idea. You'll be one of the first people I contact when I register.

TC- Amen. You're preaching to the choir here.

Mona- Well if I get married you better buy me a present. Please?

Renee- You just gave me a great idea for a party. Thanks! How fun!

Stacey- I will get people to buy me presents off the registry. It will work.

Girls Journey- My 30th bday is in two years. My birthday is March 22.

Aunt Linda- Another good idea.

Scotty- You will have to register yourself. I'll buy something from your registry and you buy me something from mine. Deal?

Bone- I think you should host your own house warming party. Who cares if you didn't "just move."

suzspeaks said...

let me know where you register!! I think it's awesome....when's your bday?

Anonymous said...

He he I'll make note of that date now then... :-)

By the way, I love tupperware parties and have bought myself quite a bit. It's sooooo worth it.

Anonymous said...

He he I'll make note of that date now then... :-)

By the way, I love tupperware parties and have bought myself quite a bit. It's sooooo worth it.

Tamra said...

As one who's done the registering thing and gotten loads of super cool stuff as gifts -- DO IT!!! It's fantastic!!! I'm thinking about having a kid so I can register again. HA!

d.j. iverson said...

genius. absolute genius.