Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Racecar Woman

Saturday evening I cooked dinner for Canada Travis's pit crew. It wasn't one of my better meals, which was disappointing. I made a Mexican Casserole. Here's a snapshot of the recipe:

Here was the problem. I cooked this right before we left for the racetrack. I removed it from the oven, placed foil on top, and walked out the door. When we arrived to the racetrack, the casserole was still hot but the tortilla chips tasted stale. The tortilla chips I used were not stale. I've come to the conclusion that placing foil over the hot casserole caused the chips to become stale/mushy. My question to Blogger World:

What are some ways I can keep food warm, but not cause it to become mushy or stale? The drive to the racetrack is about an hour. 

However, the night wasn't a total loss. I did make awesome brownies. 
They were a huge hit as you can see from the picture. Also
, Canada Travis had two good races. He placed 1st and 3rd in his two races!!!!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I think you maybe need something to soak up the moisture from it being hot after you cover it.....but I'm not sure the best way to do that. Papertowels might work on top, but then it might take topping like the cheese off when you removed them.....I don't know if you stretched saran wrap over it before foil if that would solve the problem either. I am no help with this.....

Lori said...

For this casserole you could probably use tortillas instead of chips, or leave the chips out & serve it on top of fresh chips when you get there. Maybe if you punch some small holes in the foil & put the dish in an insulated bag? The holes would allow the steam to escape, but the bag would help keep the dish warm?

Renee Nefe said...

I do a similar recipe using cut up corn tortillas and then serve fresh chips on the side... yes trapping in the heat and steam is what messed up your chips and there isn't really any way to transport them assembled.

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Just don't top with the chips. Leave them on the bottom only. Renee has a good idea. BTW, what kind of brownies are those? They look really good!

Bone said...

Mmm the brownies look really good. Wish I had one. Or the rest of the pan.

OK Chick said...

The brownies were Fudge Brownies with Reese PB chips. Delicious!!!

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!!!