Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Waffle Day

This morning I heard today was Waffle Day. I'd never heard of Waffle Day, and I love waffles. Today was a day I needed to celebrate!

After some investigating, I discovered today is not really Waffle Day. Here's some information from my research...
As it turns out, waffles are such a popular world-wide phenomenon, that they merit two days in the calendar to celebrate them.
Waffle Day began in Sweden as VĂ„ffeldagen, actually due to confusion between the Swedish “vĂ„rfrudagen” meaning “Our Lady’s Day” which falls on the same date. The day historically marks the beginning of spring and is celebrated by the eating of many waffles.
The alternative Waffle Day began in the USA and honours the anniversary of the patenting of the first US waffle iron invented by Cornelius Swarthout of Troy, New York and is celebrated on 24th August.
I'm going to confess.... I learned so much from those paragraphs. I had no idea Cornelius Swarthout invented the waffle iron. No clue!  
Blogger World since I live in America, I'm going to celebrate Waffle Day on August 24th. It's only fair...since I'm an American and all. However if you are in Sweden, I hope you have a fab Waffle Day. 



No comments: