Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Parents

It's funny how the Blogging Community Works. If you have enough time, you can find thousands of great blogs. One day, I hopping from blog to blog and stumbled across a new blog. It's called Brew Crew. I happen to know half of the Brew Crew, in real life. We went to college together. I wouldn't say we were friends in college, but we knew each other.

For the past month, she's been writing on her blog everyday. It's a 30 day challenge, where each day the topic is provided. I've enjoyed reading her post, and seeing what topic will be given to her. And today I thought I would steal one of her topics. The topic is parents.

Day 4: Parents
I have parents. I have a mom and a dad. I've had the same set my whole life. I know, you guys know all this. I talk about my parents often. I've even shared pictures with you. However today, I'm going to share some things you don't know about my parents. Maybe this will explain why I'm so weird, or why I have this witty humor. Actually, I'm pretty sure these small antidotes will not explain either.

One thing you may not know about my parents is they've known each other forever. They both grew up in Land of the Hogs; which should explain why we go there so often. My parents started dating in High School, and finally married after their college graduation. See, I told you they've known each other forever.

Now that I'm older and wiser, I realize my parents never complained. I'm kind of a complainer, or a whiner. It's ok, we can all agree on this. It won't hurt my feelings. My whining did not come from my parents example. I mean, every once in awhile they could make a comment about something, but they didn't just sit around complaining about all the lemons life threw at them. I don't remember my parents complaining about their jobs, or the fact that they could not buy the newest technology gadget because all of their daughters needed braces. I also never heard my parents make one negative comment about driving to Land of the Hogs, every weekend, to care for their parents. Nope, nothing. This leads me to my third point.

Folks, Land of the Hogs is not a short drive for wonderful OKC. However, my parents made the journey many times. If my parents taught us girls one thing, it's the example of caring for your family. Friends come and go, but your family is your family forever. I can't even begin to account all the great lessons we learned from being around our grandparents. My parents made this happen. They took us to Land of the Hogs so we could experience all these great memories.

My parents taught me a lot of things. One thing that was beat into our brains was the value of money. The importance of saving your money. When most little kids received money for their birthday they went to Wally World to pick out a new toy. Not in my family. We took our money straight to the bank. We saved. Then when we became older, they taught us about the stock market. Most families sit around the fire drinking hot chocolate and visiting about their day. Not my family. We sat around discussing the stock market. I'm not kidding.

The Sisters and I have pretty great parents. I would venture to say some of the best parents. They've taught us great lessons, loved us, and been very generous. Sadly, I do not tell them thank you enough. So, today I'm telling my parents thank you. I appreciate all the things you do for me. I appreciate all the time you've spent helping me work in the yard. The time you spent chauffeuring me to basketball, soccer, softball, and tennis practice. The money you spent on tutors and brain medicine, just so I could pass high school. I know those are some memories you'd like to erase. HA! Thank you mom and dad. You made the Sisters and I upstanding citizens because you loved and cared for us; and you never gave up on us. I'm sure that was difficult on more than one occasion. I can't even imagine reliving the teenage years three times, with all girls. YIKES!

5 comments:

Renee Nefe said...

Awwe!

PennyCandy said...

What a wonderful tribute to your parents. :-)

The Land of Hogs would that the Arkansas?

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Great post! Hopefully my kids will say something nice about me when they're your age!

Julie M. said...

Very nice post and tribute to your parents. I just have to ask though, what the heck is the land of the hogs?? You don't want to know the vision that put into my head when I was trying to picture your parents childhood town.

OK Chick said...

HA! Land of the Hogs is Arkansas. Sorry. The Hogs is short for Razorbacks.