Friday, March 20, 2009

Friday Fun Facts

Can you feel it? Can you feel the excitement of March Madness? I am involved in three bracket pools, and two of my brackets are kicking butt. Sadly, the bracket I posted yesterday is sucking it up. I can’t be perfect always.
For today’s Friday Fun Facts, I thought I’d post more about NCAA. Enjoy. And folks, let’s try to get a few hours of WORK in at your job.

Since the NCAA started seeding teams only once have all four #1 seeds made it to the Final Four (National Semifinals): 2008 Kansas, North Carolina, Memphis, UCLA.
No team as a #16 seed has ever defeated a #1 seed since the field was expanded to 64 teams, though some have come close.

Only four #15 seeds have ever defeated #2 seeds.

In the 2006 and 2009 tournaments, Villanova was able to play its first two games at the Wachovia Center in nearby Philadelphia, a venue where it had played three regular-season home games. A fourth home game at that facility would have disqualified them from playing there.

The Division I Men's Basketball tournament is the only NCAA championship tournament (officially, the BCS Football Championship is not an NCAA event) where the NCAA does not keep the profits. Instead, the money from the multi-billion-dollar television contract is divided among the Division I basketball playing schools and conferences.

1/2 of the money goes to the conferences based on how well they did in the six previous men's basketball tournaments (counting each year separately, one share for each team getting in, and one share for each win except in the Final Four and, prior to the 2008 tournament, the Play-in game).

* All facts were stolen from Wikipedia because I have zero creativity!

7 comments:

TC said...

If everyone would sign a petition and get MM a national holiday, then no one would NEED to get work done.

Renee Nefe said...

they had brackets posted up at the gym yesterday. And I heard that they want the Pre-K girls to come in wearing their favorite college team t-shirts. The mom who told me this says..."we don't follow college ball."

sigh! while you, TC & Bone are taking your holiday...the rest of us will be working...K? ;)

TC said...

while you, TC & Bone are taking your holiday...the rest of us will be working...K? ;)

By "working," did you really mean "facebooking" by any chance Renee? *er*

O:)

Bone said...

Stopping by to give you a big

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, YO!!!

Hope you had a wonderful birthday weekend.

TC said...

Personally, I think Bone should have written you a birthday dedication, not just a "Happy birthday, yo!" ... I mean, you've done one for him, it's the least he can do, right?

O:)

OK Chick said...

I agree, TC. Bone show me some love.

TC said...

Um, if Bone is gonna show you some love, let me know first: I think I'll cover my eyes and not watch :)