Friday, October 10, 2008

Friday Fun Fact

Today's Friday Fun Fact is about football. Guys go ahead and rejoice. Tomorrow is huge football game for any OU fan. It's OU/TX game. Basically, this means if you are a football hater you can run any errand without fighting a crowd. If you are a football lover this means you will be completely worthless from the hours of 10:00am-4:00pm on Saturday. Seriously, people schedule their weddings around this weekend. I kid you not! Anyway, gere's the history of OU/TX....

The Red River Shootout, also known since 2005 as the Red River Rivalry, is a common name for the annual college football game between the University of Texas Longhorns and the University of Oklahoma Sooners. The series is considered one of the greatest rivalries in American sports. The name is derived from the Red River that forms part of the boundary between the U.S. states of Texas and Oklahoma. The game originated in 1900, while Oklahoma was still a United States territory and the Oklahoma campus was still in Oklahoma Territory.

Sadly, I have never experienced the coolness of an OU/TX football game. I hear it's loads of fun. My dad has been many times, but he won't take any of his daughters. I think it's because the tickets are well over $100 a piece. The game is held at the Cotton Bowl during the TX State Fair. Doesn't that sound like fun? They combine two of my favorite things...state fair and football. This game is on my list of things to do before I die. It's up there with marriage.

7 comments:

TC said...

I LOVE that you compare this game with getting married on your list of most important things to do, lol. You do know that even though tix are over $100 each that's still wayyy cheaper than most weddings, right? ;-)

I'm well-versed in planning weddings around football games/deer hunting season/etc. It's practiced a lot in Wisconsin.

I <3 football season, but sadly my Badgers are sucking it up this year. I have a feeling Penn State is gonna come in tomorrow night (I know, two night games at Camp Randall in one season and the Badgers suck?!?!?!) and kick our butts again :-/ I'm struggling to get into college football much this year whereas I'm normally obsessed.

monamachel1 said...

I would put it ahead of marriage!!! Go OU!!! Not that I like OU but I like them better than Texas so by default....Go OU!!!
OH, and I think this year we should totally try to go to the Big 12 Championship game since it will be MU and OU again. I think we should plan it!!

Renee Nefe said...

I don't care for football much...unless it's a game that I'm at in person...Live sports are always much more fun.

But I grew up next to the Red River in LA.

TC said...

Renee: you grew up in the South but do not like football?!?! How is that possible?

OK Chick said...

TC- Well, I guess you could say my list of things to do before I die, is in a weird order.

Renee- Football is great! However, I understand it's not for everyone. Sister #1 doesn't really care for football.

Mona- I guess the Big 12 game is out. I mean, since OSU killed MSU!

monamachel1 said...

Ummm, excuse. I wouldn't say they "killed" them!!! However, I was thinking it was out because Texas killed OU!!!

Bone said...

It's the same way around here in Bama is playing a big game on TV. The streets are dead.

And I agree, I think OU/TX has gotta be above marriage. Though I can understand about the ticket prices. Someone said tickets for our game against Kentucky were going for $500 online. For Kentucky! That's insane.