Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Keeping Portland Weird

Yesterday, Sister #1 and I returned home from our annual Portland trip. This is our 4th year to spend MLK weekend in Portland. I think MLK would approve of our weekend. As always, our trip was a blast. We met more great people, ate wonderful food, and knocked out our favorite stores. It was a fun time all around! You know, next year I might not return home. On this trip, I found out that Portland will be getting an H&M. My favorite store and favorite town are finally coming together for the perfect relationship! Oh be still my heart! Next year, not only will I be able to shop at the Columbia Employee Store, but I'll also be able to shop at H&M! This excites me to no end. I swear, I might not come home next year. While you are contemplating if I'll come home next year, enjoy these pictures from Portland....

Voo Doo Doughnuts. I had the one with Fruit Loops on top. It was good. No, it really was good. It was worth the hour long wait in the rain. Oh and look at my pretty hot chocolate. Isn't that swirly thing so pretty? It was almost too pretty to drink. I said almost. My Starbucks friends don't put swirly designs in my drinks.

To pass time in the Voo Doo line, I ran across the street to take this picture. I think I bring out the background. Sister #1 made me stand in front of the wall because she could see how goofy I looked. She was right, I look goofy. But to be fair, it was raining and my hair was wet.

My college friend Tabs and her soon-to-be husband took Sister #1 and I to McMenamins Edgefield for a wine tasting. It was good and cheap! If you are ever in Portland you must check out a McMenamins.
Our friend Kyle and some other friends took us to dinner at Portland City Grill. It has a great view of the city, and they have a cheap Happy Hour food menu. I was able to order a California roll for $3. Blogger World, don't get excited about Kyle...he's getting married in two months.
See the great view of the city? Ok, you can't really see the city behind us, but it's there. These are some of our old friends with some new friends. Two of the guys in this picture are fellas we met last year. This year, they hung out with us the whole weekend, and introduced us to more of their friends. This morning, I told The Cousin that I'm starting to have more friends in Portland than OKC.

11 comments:

amy nickerson said...

Looks like you had fun, as always! I might have to head to Portland someday :) Let's hang out soon!

Scotty said...

Do you have another sister over there? I can't remember..

Maybe you should move there, and become a tour guide :)

OK Dude said...

You are definitely taking me with you next time!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a fun trip! I've always wanted to go to Portland...especially to go to Voo Doo Doughnuts. Thanks for sharing!

Michelle said...

So after reading your blog I know you are the kind of person who would probably stop and pick cotton! Drive to Texas, you can't miss the cotton fields.

Since I'm from Portland, I had never seen one either until I came to this land locked state to get an education... and stayed. Oh, how I miss Portland! Although I have not been to VooDoo donuts??? Have your heard of Rimsky's, it's an awesome place too! Next time you're there you'll have to go!

Blessings,
~M

TC said...

I read an article about H&M yesterday actually. It was about how they opted to "chop" clothing that wasn't selling so that no one on the street would try and steal it because it would no longer be suitable for wear. Instead of donating it, they just cut it up. I've never shopped at H&M, but I have to say that after reading that, knowing how many homeless people there are (especially in NY where this store was), I probably won't.

Glad you had a great time though!

OK Chick said...

Scotty- No family in Portland, just friends.

Michelle- I LOVE Rimsky's! I've been there a couple times. It's where I had my first Chai. Awwww.....

TC- AH! Tell me it's not so. You just broke my heart.

Amy in Edmond said...

I've been to Portland twice. It was in June for weddings. Since the kids were little, we did things like going to the zoo, beach, and the aquarium. Jemma was 6 weeks old the first time we went. That time we flew. The second time she was 13 months old and we drove.

Bone said...

The Keep Portland Weird pic is priceless.

How tall are you?

OK Chick said...

Tall

Anonymous said...

Bone, she's a giant!!!!

Sister #1