Friday, July 31, 2009

We are family

Blogger World, in four hours my family and I will be traveling to The Lonestar State. This weekend marks the annual shopping/mini-family vacation. A few years ago my mom came up with this grand idea of spending one weekend, before school starts, shopping in Dallas. I know, my mom is super wise; and my dad is even wiser because he comes along to hold our shopping bags. Ok, not really. He usually reads books and drinks coffee in book stores. He makes us hold our own shopping bags, which is fine because I’m independent and stuff.

This year’s trip comes with good news and bad news. The good news is this year my family is in for a special trip. See, a few months ago my dad played in a golf tournament and won a big prize. He won a free night stay at a fancy hotel in Dallas. When I say fancy, I mean fan-cy. I’m pretty sure my Okie family will stick out like a sore thumb, but who cares it’s free. I’m planning to lay out by the fancy pool and receive a fancy tan!

The bad news about the trip is my mom is making all of us ride together in a car. Let me repeat the part you should care about…ride together in a car. As I have mentioned in previous post- I do not do road trips. I have this car sick problem. It usually flares up when I have to sit in a hot crammed car! Pretty much my whole life my parents have owned either mini vans or suburbans. And can I just say that was the smartest decision of their parenting life! Not only do I have the car sick problem, my sisters and I have this rule when we travel. We cannot touch. I’m dead serious. There is NO touching in the car. Even today, the 28, 25, and 18 year old cannot touch each other. As you can imagine, 5 adults in a car will be a bit crammed, and its 100 degrees outside! Folks, I don’t know if we will make it to Dallas. This just might be the end for my family. Who cares that we’ve made 67,189 trips to Arkansas; this dinky trip to Dallas just-might-kill-us! Stay tuned for fun stories on Monday morning.

8 comments:

TC said...

Dude, do you EVER stay home?

Renee Nefe said...

I very much hope that you do make it on this trip, cuz I wanna hear all the stories about it! LOL!

Poor DD we will be taking our first road trip on the 10th. I'm trying really hard to make it fun for her, but she's all worried about it (she does this!) See her father & I had to travel everywhere by car when we were kids and so of course we aren't fans...so she has the same dread. However, I would like her to have one wonderful car trip experience. We'll see. Luckily none of us suffers from car sickness and we're going with friends. We'll see how the dog does. LOL!

heather hub said...

what hotel? is it The Joule? if so, that hotel IS fancy and amazing. i hope it is!

Cap'n John said...

Is it too late to claim that you've got something work-related that is really, really, really important that you simply have to do, so you'll fly (or drive your own car) and meet everyone down there?

Scotty said...

Is TC looking for a guest poster? :)

How long of a drive is it? Lately its been raining there!

Amy in Edmond said...

I heard on the news the other night that I-35 is closed down to one lane each way around Wynnewood for resurfacing.

Just keep thinking, fancy hotel, fancy pool, fancy tan....

Anonymous said...

I love and totally endorse the non touching rule. Though with three adults I'm not sure how that works.

My sister is a lot younger than me, so she'd be in the middle with her not less than three huge teddy bears jammed in also. I'm sure when she was born it stopped a huge amount of squabbling between my brother and I, but I remember also getting rubbed by her on the way home from day trips at the beach as she'd still be covered in sand.

Have fun, I would NOT go on a road trip with my family, even if I was paid to!

OK Dude said...

Yeah, I did a road trip with my parents for 4th of July.

My mom drove me crazy! I didn't want either of my parents to drive because we would have never gotten there. My would have gotten us lost in Tulsa and dad would have wanted us to take all of the back roads. Mom griped about me driving the entire time.

I talked to my sister about her trip with mom a few weeks later she said that she griped about her driving the entire time too. She is more of a backseat driver.